My scientific leitmotifs are to help bridge the gap between the formal and the humanistic sciences, and to achieve more human-like communication with computers. In the process, I hope to understand more about language in a general sense (including, for example, languages in terms of which molecular biology problems can be fruitfully expressed) and I typically produce results of both foundational and practical value for computational logic/linguistics/intelligence/molecular biology.
- Logic programming, logic grammars
- computational linguistics and its applications
- knowledge bases and intelligent systems
- computational molecular biology
- high level internet programming