My interests lie in the fields of Molecular Biology, Genetics and Evolution. My research attempts to look at broad molecular evolutionary problems using a very highly multidisciplinary approach. I currently have three major interest areas.
1. Salmon Genome Project and Genes of the Immune System
This project focusses on:
- Genetic mechanisms of rediploidization in salmonids
- Large scale DNA sequencing technologies
- T cell receptors and other genes of the immune system
- Transcriptomics and Bioinformatics
- Diseases, particularly Sealice/Salmon genomic interactions
2. Molecular Evolution
Using multi gene families and a variety of species to examine molecular mechanisms, population dynamics (refugia, migrations…)
- Genetic mechanisms of Molecular Evolution (Gene Conversion, Duplication, Deletion, Mutation etc). Currently we are targeting immune system genes of fishes.
- Population dynamics (migration and refugia) along the islands and coast of British Columbia.
3. Biological Informatics
Sequence comparisons, multiple alignments, phylogeny, pattern identification and gene finding algorithms are being examined.